Sunday, November 01, 2015

How You Can Use Your Relapse to Stay in Recovery

Addict Quote

I want people to know that a relapse doesn't mean failure. Recovery time has been advertised as one of the most important thing in recovery, but it isn't. Whats important is never giving up and being happy. 

It's not uncommon to feel like giving up after losing all your recovery time, but what I've learned after all this time is each relapse was fundamental to my success in recovery. Its understandable to feel like you failed if you relapse, but if you learned anything at all, it wasnt a failure.

A lot of people wonder why they keep relapsing and I know it’s frustrating but there is a reason behind it. Relapses are usually caused by not knowing how to deal with emotional distress. This is often caused by difficult situations or hurtful memories. We relapse because we aren't strong enough yet. We build that strength and resolve with every mistake we make. Every relapse should make our will power stronger and teach us how to deal with our emotional pain. 

A relapse should remind you why you want to quit and reinforce your determination to recover. I see each relapse as a step closer to getting clean for good because each time I relapsed I learned an important lesson. We obviously still had something to learn if we relapsed and each relapse should bring us a little closer to that knowledge. 

It's important not to get discouraged when a relapse happens. You need to believe in your recovery and that you wont keep relapsing. To be successful in recovery you need to believe it will last; if you don't, it won't last. You know what the say about self-fulfilling prophecies. I know that's how it was for me. It took me a few relapses before getting clean for good but I always believed I wouldn't relapse. 

Addiction Recovery Quote

When I'd start to relapse I wouldnt let myself think about the negative consequences of using. I’d make excuses or explain it away to convince myself that using wasn't the problem. Addicts are good at fooling people but their even better at fooling themselves.

Denial becomes a close friend. You know the kind of friend who's a bad influence and always gets you into trouble. Denial might give us peace of mind at first, but we eventually learn, usually the hard way, that using isn't the answer. You relapse enough times that the consequences of using are reinforced in your mind in such a way where you can’t easily deny its negative effects.

My last relapse had me cross a line there was no coming back from, and that's when something just clicked. I had done terrible shit before but this time it was different. Maybe it was just an accumulation of all the terrible stuff I'd done and that last big fuck up was the straw that broke the camels back. Whatever the reason, it made me realize just how out of conrol I was and it was too big for me deny or forget. 

I guess we all have to find that moment when we realize this really is our rock bottom and we're tired of it. Relapsing didn't mean I'd never get clean; it just made me a stronger person from the lessons I learned, so don’t lose hope. I relapsed because I still had something to learn and now that I've learned it I'm able to stay clean. Just keep trying and take with you the lessons you learn from each relapse and you'll also be able to stay clean. 

Join our Recovery Community and subscribe here to get an email notification when a new post comes out.

Charmed

PS: Please let me know what you learned from your relapse.


Addiction Quote


8 comments:

  1. Hey! Chelsea, it funny you bring this topic up, I just share something similar, about how with every relapse I learned something to help me with my next attempt at recovery..I can relate, but,for some reason while reading this I started thinhing negative, like I still had something else to learn, creepy feeling ran over me and had to stop, I am sorry ,I don't know why it just did and its not that I wish to uses, or what it, I feel fine,happy, By The Grace of God all is Good, with work and at home, so I dont know why!!!!It scares me though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As humans we never stop learning. We will always have something to learn but that doesnt mean it has to be through addiction. There are so many diffetent ways to learn, its ultimatly up to you and your choices what you will learn. Our choices say something about us and sometimes it leads us excatly to what we need to learn.
      Stay Strong
      Charmed

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience. Im going through it right now. Today is 13 for me clean. I had used for over a week straight before that n before that every few days n before that once a month n before that only every couple if months. This has been going on for 2 yrs. Before that I was in prison for 9 months. But before I got there I used every single day for two yrs. Im 32 and have used since I was 13. So I knew where I was heading again once it was daily for over a wk. I pray I can do it this time. I have so many poll that love me n believe in me. A loving boyfriend that has tried to make me see the light. And 4 beautiful kids n grand daughter that need me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my experiences has giving you hope. Its all starts with the first few days. At the end my sobriety was on and off as well. Relapses helped strenghtened my determination until it was strong enough to stay away from drugs for good. You can do it draw from your passed relapses(failures). And get angry lol get angry at drugs and using, it helped me. My thoughts are with you. Stay strong and dont stop trying no matter how many relapses happen. Take Care Hun. Feel free to email me anytime just to chat or for advice based on my past experiences. Xo

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your post! I like it and I think you make a good point.

    4 Simple Ways To Stay Sober

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Story !! Thanks for sharing ...
    Also readout How sheila Ramsey overcome her addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very kind and intresting.Alcohol rehab cincinnati
    do check this blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, informative blog and thanks for sharing this article

    check Substance abuse

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks