Sunday, November 09, 2014

Addiction Recovery My Way

One of the many things that makes this world such a beautiful and wonderful place is its diversity. We are all beautifully unique with different wants and needs. We shouldn't ever be expected to all fit in a box and conform to just one way of doing things. Its simply isn't who we are as humans beings. We are amazingly complex individuals and we need that freedom to be ourselves and do what works for us in order for us to grow into all that we can be.

I've had people who have been rude to me, ignored me,  blocked me and even shunned me once they found out I wasn't doing recovery their way. Every time I ask myself why. Why not support a fellow recovering addict and recovery in all its forms. If it's creating a better life for them and their loved ones than Why Not? I would think these recovering addicts would understand better than most the struggle of recovery. We should stand together and lift each other up. Changing our lives in no small task. We should be proud of each other no matter what recovery path we have chosen. Accepting and encouraging individual differences is an amazing thing. It means we have evolved to see past our own sense of self and ego to see the beauty in what is different from us.

If what their doing works for them who I am to judge or make their recovery seem less important or make them feel less than because they aren't doing it my way. Being in the methadone maintenance program I've had to defend my recovery to quite a few people and surprisingly most of them were in recovery themselves. Usually regular folks are more accepting and able to see the positive changes in my life for what they are. Methadone has given me my life back after I had tried everything else to quit, its the only thing that worked for me. 

Another really big issue for some is that I don't see abstinence from alcohol as part of my recovery. I've never had a problem with it. I only drink a few times a year and I rarely get drunk. I've been clean from drugs for many years now and drinking hasn't caused me to relapse in all this time. If I felt like my recovery was in danger I wouldn't drink. I dont drink to get drunk and I dont drink when Im angry or emotionally unstable. I know my way of doing recovery doesn't work for most people but it works for me. I'm drug free and living a "normal" life.

I know alcohol can be a really big problem for some people and by choosing to have a couple drinks on my birthday or at Christmas doesn't mean I don't see alcohol as a huge challenge for some recovering addicts. It doesn't mean I don't respect their struggle or that I don't see it as a big deal for some people. Its just that alcohol isn't a problem for me personally. I respect each of your individual recovery paths so much. Recovery is something to be proud of and If it feels right to you than that's what matters in the end. May you all be happy and find that inner peace we are all looking for.

Charmed



4 comments:

  1. It’s good to hear about your successful recovery from addiction, Chelsie! We are in a world of freedom, and are given a chance to choose and make decisions for ourselves. What you are today is just the effect of your chosen path. Everybody has their own struggles in life, but many succeed because they are doing what is right and good. Even though you stumbled with wrong decisions before, you still persevered to find the way of light. You must be really proud of yourself! Thanks for sharing that! Kudos and more power to you!

    Johnnie Smith @ Ranch Creek Recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support. Even though I regret some of the things I've done I still wouldn't change anything because it has made me who I am today. My journey to becoming the best person I can be is never over. I'm constantly learning and changing. Hope to hear from you again, Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. It makes little sense to attempt to impose one model of recovery on all individuals. It's a bit like expecting one pair of shoes to fit every set of feet. The knee-jerk response to dismiss a model of self-modification different than your own is an act of projection, a shadow of the control issues that lead some to drug excess in the first place. It is the same stubbornness that we used in the throes of our destructive consumption, except now applied to a dogma of abstinence in place of excess.

    I've found all you can do is move on and hope that in time they will come to recognize the folly of imposing one-size-fits-all solutions to complex problems involving unique human beings. If they don't then your paths are simply divergent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, if one way worked for everyone then we would have less people still struggling with addiction. Abstinence works great for some but they shouldn't make it their religion and force everyone to believe what they believe. No need to go on a crusade to get everyone abstinent. If it something different works for someone respect it and move on.

      Delete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks