Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Addiction Facts for Recovery Month Awareness


Being that September is the 25th annual Recovery Month I thought Id share some facts about addiction and recovery to raise some awareness. As a recovering addict I think its pretty neat that we have a whole month dedicated to recovery. The Recovery Month.Gov  has a bunch of info on recovery month if you want to check that out. 

This year’s theme, “Join the Voices for Recovery: Speak Up, Reach Out,” encourages people to openly speak up about mental and substance use disorders and the reality of recovery, and promotes ways individuals can use to recognize behavioral health issues and reach out for help. Recovery Month spreads the positive message that behavioral health is essential to overall health, that prevention works, treatment is effective and people can and do recover.
Also the ihavewill has started the lemon challenge to raise awareness. The challenge is to eat or suck on a lemon and keep a straight face and filming it to share with everyone. If you can keep a straight face keep eating. Its a fun challenge and a great way to raise awareness.


Now here are some facts :
(Click on a fact to be redirected to its source)




Charmed  =)

9 comments:

  1. Great post girl! Sorry for the late comment, I sent you a DM as to why! Those are crazy stats for sure and the more we all speak up about addiction the chances of reducing stigma is greater! That would be such a huge accomplishment! But as long as we can change a few minds and open some eyes its all worth it! Again thanks for the awesome post, you are a great blogger girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope my blog as a whole reduces some of the stigma attached to addiction. If all the time I put into my blog helps make (recovering) addicts lives easier than its all worth it. Thanks again for commenting it really does make my day. Sorry it took so long to reply I've just been busier then usual with school starting. Take Care :)

      Delete
  2. I believe the first step to a brighter and addiction-free society is to raise awareness. It helps that there are people like you on the sidelines to help prevent or stop the chaos that is alcohol and drug abuse. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Let us all keep fighting for a better society. All the best to you! :)

    Donnie Benson @ Midwest Institute for Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. There's so much hate out there that I really hope I can make an impact on society, however small, to help it evolve into a more loving and understanding community. Along with this blog I've also been looking into mentoring the youth at risk in my community. Anything to make a difference :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing those statistics. It's amazing that we still attach such a stigma to substance abuse when it is so prevalent. I appreciated how you noted that many addicts suffer from mental illness as well. I had a therapist who did research on the connection between anxiety disorders and addiction. He concluded that almost all addictions are caused my a need to reduce anxiety. I plan to write about this in the future. Thanks for all that you do.
    Pearl<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Addiction is such a common problem that our society really needs to start dealing with it differently. They need to change the way they've been handling it because its a known fact that the war on drugs has only made things worst. We need a change. Hopefully that change includes love, understanding and effective therapy that looks into mental illness as well as addiction. Thanks so much for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks drug rehab near me

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks