Sunday, October 26, 2014

Why Rehab Would of Made Recovery Easier

Have you noticed that addiction is almost always accompanied by mental illness or some kind of trauma? I believe this is because addiction isn't the cause of our problems but a symptom of an underlying issue. We try to self-medicate with drugs, alcohol or some behavior to alleviate the distress caused by this trauma or mental illness. Being that addiction is a symptom of a much bigger issue I wish I would have gone to rehab and gotten the counselling I needed instead of doing it on my own. Receiving the proper treatment for the root cause of my addiction would of made my life so much easier. Getting clean and sober is just the beginning of our long journey back to sanity.

Rehabs can provide excellent support and counselling when you find a program suited to your needs. Not everyone's needs are the same and finding a rehab with counselors willing to adapt to your individual needs is essential for a successful recovery. Sadly, my small town didn't have a drug rehab facility and the counselling was very limited. When I couldn't find a program in my area that was flexible and adaptable to my needs I ended up having to do it on my own. If I only I would have known about a rehab that could meet my needs I might of mustered up the courage to go to an out of town rehab facility and saved myself so much time and grief.

There are some great rehab facilities like Advanced Health and Education in New Jersey that if would of been available to me at the time would of saved me a lot of relapses and given me the tools I needed to deal with life's struggles instead of seeking relief with my old habits. I was impressed with how Advanced Health takes the time to find the best course of addiction treatment for each patients individual needs taking into consideration factors such as the type and duration of addiction, mental illness, physical health, and personal and professional commitments which are all important factors to consider when deciding the most appropriate course of action.

I can only begin to imagine how helpful a program like that would have been for me. I'm over 6 years clean and I'm still struggling with some mental issues that lead to some not so good habits, even though they might not drug related they still effect my life on a daily basis. Some of these not so good habits are keeping my emotions in, blaming others and over sleeping to get away from it all. Figuring it all out on my own isn't easy but not having and not knowing about programs that would have taken into consideration my health and commitments like Advanced Health kept me from getting the best possible care. We definitely need more rehab facilities like Advanced Health and Education  and more importantly we need to know about them. 

I'm hoping by writing about this I can share the importance of getting the proper treatment and let people know about great rehab facilities that take into consideration individual needs. I'm going to be doing more research on different rehabs and counselling programs to share with all of you the ones I find to be some of the best. Please let me know in the comments below your experiences with treatment facilities. Thanks




9 comments:

  1. Love this article!! thank you for your stories are always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot. I try and do my best and write posts that readers will like. My blog is really important to me and I enjoy knowing people find it interesting enough to take time out of their busy day to read what I had to write about that week. :) thanks again, take care.

      Delete
  2. Rehab is a good thing to helo us deal with our "demons" but in my opinion its not for everyone and you are the perfect example of that!! You've come a long way and you did it all on your own and yes rehab may have made it easier for you in many ways, the fact that you've made it this far on your own makes me respect you more then you could possibly know!! But all in all I think this was a great post. Keep up the hard work. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Im proud that I was able to do it on my own but I truly believe having a support system is extremely important and who better then trained counselors. :) That's why I want to become a counselor I know how important they are and how much valuable support they can give to peoples recovery process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Chelsie Charmed
    Thanks for sharing this informative post about rehab recovery
    Nice Post
    Buy Students Assignment Help Online

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks