Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Why Expressive Outlets Are Important in Recovery


I have found that a healthy creative outlet where I can express myself has been a very important part of my recovery. I've noticed that a lot of addiction recovery centers offer art classes and other types of creative outlets to help in the recovery process. They might just be on to something here. A few words by The Addiction Recovery Guide describing (way better then I ever could) why being creative can be helpful in recovery (they also mention lots of other interesting and useful therapies like journaling, animal, music, hypnosis etc., definitely worth checking out :

The creative therapies can be very helpful in the process of recovery from addiction. They offer the opportunity to get in touch with the inner self and with the higher power and can provide a form of expression for feelings that cannot be easily identified or put into words. Through helping the person with an addiction connect with his/her more authentic self, the expressive therapies can help raise self-esteem and provide an opportunity to create new experiences beyond habitual and painful emotional patterns. The creative arts foster a renewed ability to relax without drugs or alcohol.


Ever since I began my recovery I remember wanting to be creative anyway I could. Some of the many things I enjoyed were drawing, coloring, knitting and my two favorites are writing/blogging and making healing trees. I do it because I absolutely love it and would be in heaven if I could actually make a living on it. I know you guys feel me right, its everybody dream to make a living doing something they love, something they are completely and truly passionate about. I am even lucky enough to have something be really helpful to my recovery.


When I get overwhelmed with my life, being creative can help me find peace and a serene state of mind. Its like all this emotional build up and blockage I can sometimes feel gets released. I've noticed this even more lately when I started doing my healing trees again. I had stopped for a while because I was having a hard time selling them and I just had so many made. Thankfully my aunt took them off my hands and put them in her shop and after a while I finally started wanting to make more that I could have with me to try to sell on my own again. In the end selling them isn't what matters, the wonderful feeling I get when making them is enough for me to keep at it (well until I run out of supplies since their not cheap Ill have to wait till I sell some to buy more).

My point here is to find some creative hobby you love to do because its has so many therapeutic benefits specially for someone in recovery. Find time for you and let your imagination free. It really does calm my mind and just puts me in an overall happier mood which makes me more patient and understanding.


If you want to take a look at my healing trees here's the link to my ebay page :) and the link the my healing trees facebook page

Charmed






3 comments:

  1. Another great post girl! Absolutely love it! You r so right about being creative nd finding what makes u happy! I believe you will be successful at both wtitting and selling your trees! We r still buying a few from you soon! I just love them! Just keep doing what you r doing and font let anyone get u down k! I also love your pastels too they are beautiful! U r awesome don't forget that k! Keep writting awesome posts nd remember I'm here for you if ever u get down! Don't be afraid to ask anything k xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your amazing thank you for being there. I hope u know you can't talk to me too.

    I know it might take time to be successful but I'm happy doing what I'm doing so I don't mind waiting. I'm making another tree now with colors you told me you liked. I'll be posting it soon. :)

    I'm trying review my writing and to edit more and take more time with each post. Hopefully eventually improving my writing skills. I used to not spend to much time editing and treated my posts more like a journal entry but I do want to put quality writing out there so I'm trying not to be lazy and review everything more. Lol

    Take care hun :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks