Tuesday, March 05, 2013

My Struggles as a Recovering Addict

At the moment, I'm renting a room in an apartment in the semi-basement (big windows) of a nice lady. I was living with my boyfriend, but I just needed to get out of that toxic environment. I'm not exactly ready to talk about the shit that happened, it was messy, emotional and very confusing. Every time I try to talk about it I feel like it doesn't make sense. I just don't see the situation clearly anymore or I'm not strong enough to deal with it.

I'm constantly second guessing myself, one day I'm thinking I'm being manipulated and lied to, and the next I feel like I'm too demanding and I'm the problem. Relationships have always been an issue for me. I'd love to fix it but I just have no idea where to start. I've been trying to spend more time at home to distance myself lately so I can see the situation clearer. I love staying at home, but I don't have any friends in the area so it gets lonely on weekends. I had the idea that maybe getting a little dog would help keep me company.

Now after thinking about it long and hard I'm still not sure if I'm ready to commit. It's a lot of responsibility and I don't know if my life is stable enough right now. My feelings change so much from day to day it's hard to make any decision for the near future. I've always loved animals but its dogs I have a real passion for. I rarely cry during movies but if anything happens to a dog I actually start to cry. Fuck the humans right, it's the dogs that really matter. Just kidding. Dogs are just so innocent and helpless. For example, the movie 8 below made me cry like a baby.

Yesterday I had a dog come over to see if she would be comfortable around me, she's a timid little thing. She's an adorable half poodle and half chihuahua, the perfect size for what I'm looking for. I'm just scared to rush into it without being 100% sure I have the time and energy to give the dog the attention it deserves. 

The owner was very understanding about giving me time to think it over to make sure I was doing the right thing and she said if I wanted to have another visit with the dog before deciding she would bring her over again. She had even offered to give her to me for free when she had originally planned to sell her for 200$. What was really holding me back is how tired I am lately and how doing normal everyday things like going to school, doing groceries, getting to the doctor, the dentist and to get my methadone is already difficult for me.


I feel so drained of energy no matter what I do and I think it's been like that since I quit drugs but it feels like its gotten worst. I don't want to believe that my past drug use is still affecting me and my everyday life but it is. It's hard to talk to anyone about this because I'd have to explain to them my previous drug use or that the medication I'm taking for it might be making me tired. 

So making new friends, keeping appointments, going to school, keeping up with essays and finding a way to work without revealing anything can be extremely difficult. Even seeing old friends who know that part of me makes me nervous because I wasn't able to make new friends for fear of judgement I haven't socialized in a while and I'm also nervous to be put in an uncomfortable situation.


The social stigma and judgement surrounding addicts makes it almost impossible to tell anyone what I'm going through. The mistrust, the doubts, the looks of pity and the thoughts that I'm weak are sometimes too much to bare. It's a very real issue that addicts face and it hinders our recovery. Put aside the actual addiction to drugs and it's still extremely hard to get sober and stay sober because of the judgement that prevent us from reaching out. My heart goes out to all of you out there struggling with this.


If you want to know more about the social stigma surrounding addicts I recommended this article that I read.  social-stigma-and-barriers-to-recovery

PS. Check out my Handmade Crystal Healing Trees 

Sincerely,
Charmed

6 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea--I'm thinking about you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong, hon...you CAN do this. Hang on to your sobriety. I think you should get the dog...she will be there for you and she can motivate you to get moving everyday because she will need you. She will also give you unconditional love...she won't care that you are in recovery or that you are on methadone. She will just be happy to be by your side. Hugs...let us know what you decide to do.
    Also...could your methadone dose be too high and sapping your energy? Just a thought. Maybe you could see about decreasing it by 10% and see if that makes a difference over a few days?
    Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing...
    If you get that little furbaby...promise her that you will take her for a walk everyday...it will help get you moving because you will have to do it for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been going down on my methadone dose a lil every week it seems to be helping but I also started working out and that helps too. I decided not to get the dog because im not home very often and I dont have a car to bring her around with me. thank you for ur prayers they mean alot.

      Delete
  2. You know what? Sometimes, I am thinking that you are luckier than I am for having experienced such thing. You put yourself away from the road and saw the greater horizon. You experienced recovery assistance from which you were greatly enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its easy to say that when you don't know how hard its been and how it still affects me so much. Don't get me wrong it definitely gave me a new perspective and changed who I am, made me stronger and more compassionate, but as for who is luckier, no one can really judge someone elses journey unless they have lived it. It does no good to do so. Take Care ~Charmed

      Delete
  3. Sara Delzatto Brown15 May 2013 at 15:11

    "I feel so drained of energy no matter what I do and I think its been like that since I quit drugs but it feels like its gotten worst."

    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I feel this way also, and I keep wondering when I'm supposed to (or going to) get" back to normal". I've been in recovery since 2/8/13, and some days it seems like I'm at a standstill. I'm on Suboxone therapy, and I guess maybe that's why I have no energy or "oomph". Hang in there. I read your blog and FB page all the time, but I've never posted before. I do think though, that your decision NOT to get the dog may have been a good one, because if you're feeling this way about not having enough energy, it may be a sign than you're not ready for another responsibility yanno? I've got two small kids and believe me, some days I don't feel I want to be a mom, although that sounds horrible, huh? I've got you in my thoughts. And thank you for doing this blog, it's fantastic and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, that's really great to hear, it makes me happy that you enjoy my blog. I keep doing it for people like you, your comments inspire me to keep writing. My best friend is also on suboxone and she says that's really draining her energy. I'm on meth and I believe that's why I'm drained of energy, since I think it would of gotten better by now, you know. Congrats on being sober for 3 months, the beginning is always the hardest so my thoughts are with you. I believe not wanting to be a mom sometimes is a common thing, every body gets those days, they just don't admit. Your being honest with yourself and that's good because we can't grow or change with out knowing ourselves.
      Much Love Charmed xo

      Delete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks