Monday, February 11, 2013

Finding Happiness in Recovery


I know finding happiness can seem difficult for some. It sure was for me, especially after making a mess of my life and feeling like I had nothing to be happy about. Don't get me wrong I'd put a smile on when people were around and I told people I was doing good. No one really wants to hear me complaining about how unhappy I am, so I'd give them the answer they were expecting. I'm doing good.

On most nights I'd go to bed, close my eyes and wish for happiness. That's all I'd asked for, simple right? Not a house, or a car, or a the perfect man, or a different life. All I wanted was to be happy, that's what we should all strive for because without happiness, what is there?

What I really wanted was something to be happy about. Isn't that the mistake most of us make? Wanting something or someone to come along and make us happy. Well that was my big mistake and it even had its part in maintaining my addiction. I would use because I was unhappy with  the circumstances in my life and for the past that I had been given.

What I didn't understand back then was that anything that would make me happy wouldn't last unless I was the one making myself happy. Things come and go, nothings guaranteed, the one thing we can count on is ourselves. We can only truly be happy when we take charge of our own happiness and once we accomplish that we can begin making others happy.



Of course I've been put in some situations that I didn't like, but that will always be unavoidable. Whats up to me is, how long I decide to dwell on it and what I make of it, is all on me, always has been. Its no ones fault but my own if I stay unhappy. Each person has the strength inside them to make their own happiness, they just have to know they are capable of creating it for themselves.

Of course I'm not happy all the time, that's not what I'm saying. What's changed is when I find myself feeling unhappy instead of blaming people or the things in my life, I change my thoughts and my actions because in the end that's all we really have control over. I can either choose to change what I don't like or accept it and be at peace with it.

The essential part of this for me was understanding that accepting it didn't mean having to accept the situation that's making me unhappy, therefore remaining unhappy. It meant that if I decided to accept it then I was truly fine with it which meant it didn't make me that unhappy anymore. If was going to accept it then I might as well find the good in it, the positive and realize that life isn't always easy but the hard parts make us grow and change us in to better people. People who can empathize and sympathize with others, gain knowledge from their hardships and learn to find happiness in the small things and teach others to do so as well.


CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY AND DO THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY!! ENJOY A SUNSET OR A GOOD BOOK. TREASURE THE SMALL THINGS AND YOU WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY.  =D

Sincerely Charmed                                                         

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. I am not a recovering addict but my husband is. I want to understand more about the addiction, and how I can help. I know that statement probably makes addicts mad in some way but when the people around you who love you see you hurting, they just want to help.
    Thanks for sharing this blog. It takes guts to write about our problems in life, and I always feel like if I am writing a blog to help someone else, I am contributing to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for ur support. We all hurt or need help sometimes, its good to remember when we want to help ppl to also accept help ourselves when we need it. Take care

      Delete
  2. Love your inspiration,people all over the world can benefit from reading this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, its very rewarding to get to help other ppl through my blog. Its not always easy writing about certain things but in the end its good for me and hopefully for others. Hope to hear from u again

      Delete

Please leave a comment and let me know you dropped by.
If you have a blog, you can share your blog link,
but spammy comments will be removed. Thanks